No Harm Done

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Memory Lane

Last fall I stumbled on the blog of a friend from elementary school. (I love, love, love that "Next Blog" button!) Darin and I had a falling out in early high school, and I hadn't heard from him in over 20 years. It has been a joy to re-connect and get to know a childhood friend as an adult.

I'm finally putting older photos into albums, and found this one of Darin and I during our 5th grade band festival. We'd been playing the clarinet for maybe 6 months, at this point. Our festival song was "Old MacDonald Had A Band." Some years back I heard an audiotape of this performance, which convinced me that our band teacher must have had ears of steel. Or a really great poker face. Or maybe she was slightly deaf. We thought we sounded great, and she never let on that we didn't.



And, for the record, this is probably the closest you'll get to seeing a picture of me on this blog. (Mwahahahahaha!)

7 Comments:

At 11:47 PM , Blogger Darin said...

Oh.my.

It's been great to reconnect over these past few months. Truly something that was way overdue.

I do recall that plaid skirt of yours - didn't it come with a HUGE gold plated baby pin to keep it on?

Mercy....we've come a long way.

Thanks for sharing that!

 
At 11:57 PM , Blogger H said...

Oh. My. Word.

I can't believe you remember that giant pin! The skirt was a wrap skirt, and buttoned to stay on, but the pin was to keep the skirt from flying open.

26 years later, I am still a fashion disaster. :)

 
At 12:07 AM , Blogger Darin said...

How could ANYONE forget that thing? It was crazy fabulous.

Clearly...you were ahead of the curve in terms of fasion.

BTW: Didn't we play a duet once? Bill Bailey or something like that. Mrs Earl used us as patsies. I swear.

 
At 12:21 AM , Blogger H said...

Mrs. Earl! THAT was her name! I can see her in my mind's eye, but I couldn't remember her name. :)

Yes, we played "When The Saints Go Marching In" as a duet. You played the soprano line because I couldn't hit the high notes consistently. :)

I think that giant pin could only be considered "ahead of the curve" if, at some point, people *other than me* started wearing them.

Blessings,
Hillary

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger Chox said...

Good lord. Darin was just as gay back then as he is now. ;-)

 
At 6:05 PM , Blogger Jimmi said...

Hillary, he remembers that pin because he wanted that whole ensemble for himeself, and I don't mean the band ensemble!

 
At 4:54 PM , Blogger H said...

Sorry Captain C. We strive for a G rating here. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home