No Harm Done

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Magical Mystery Basement

I think I may have made a serious error in judgement.

We've just finished our basement, and the paint color I picked for the majority of the basement has chameleon qualities that I did not anticipate. It changes color as the light changes, and as this room is facing east, we see lots of changes through out the day.

The paint chip color we picked was "Mineral Dust" - a sort of a slate-colored chip. I nice, light, neutral grey, with a hint of beige. But after they painted, we noticed it had a definite mauve quality, sometimes looking even a bit lavender. We thought it was just because we hadn't installed the flooring yet, and everything would look normal after the carpet was put in.

Nope.

Look! Sometimes the walls look grey, sometimes lavender, sometimes a rosy pink.



The paint used on the walls in the hall and the family room is the same. Lights and sunlight affect the color dramatically.




This last picture shows, sort of, the color we were going for.

A pink basement will not sit well in a house with 4 men. There's too much testosterone in this house to pull off a pink family room.

How can I fix this? I think I can get painting done by the time M. comes home this week to recover most of this. If I just choose a lighter grey and paint over the top, will the darker chameleon paint bleed through too much?

3 Comments:

At 7:53 PM , Blogger Donna Boucher said...

That paint is amazing. Have you seen those cars that had the paint that changes depending on what direction it is going...

freaky!

I like the color and perhaps once there is furniture in place it will settle down :o)

Your basement looks wonderful!

Donna

 
At 9:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked mull-berry's idea of trying different lightbulbs...

 
At 2:45 AM , Blogger Dy said...

Ooohhhh, wow. That's wild! It's a lovely shade of pink... if you like pink. But I don't know. What about putting on a rag finish using a taupe color? That'd tone it down a bit, and wouldn't cost a fortune to do.

The rooms look SO NICE, though! WHAT FUN!!!

Dy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home