No Harm Done

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Extreme Invasive Makeover

So Thursday's the day: I check in. They slit my throat. I'll leave the next day a little bit lighter.

At church on Sunday, I waggled my eyebrows a la groucho Marx and tried to convince them it was all part of my grand weight-loss plan. "If I just keep having doctors remove one non-essential piece of me at a time, soon I will be able to reach my ideal weight."

I don't think many people bought it. Sadly, I think there were even a few who might have thought I was completely serious. Sigh.....

Last week, while talking with the surgeon about my thyroid and the nitty-gritty about the surgery, I'd mentioned (since I had his attention, and all) that over the past couple of years I'd had 3 instances where my uvula (that's the dangling thingie in the back of your throat, for those of you who went to a state college) would swell and elongate to the point that it would lay on my tongue and gag me.

(Ick. Yes. That mental image and involuntary shudder you just had - that was what I was going for. )

Anyway, the surgeon took a look at my elongated uvula and said, "Sure, we'll clip that for you on Thursday while we're in there."

Hey! How about that!

I'll probably be nervous on Thursday, but right now I'm just excited to have this done and taken care of. I like my thyroid; I'm kind of attached to it (ba DUM bum), but it's given me a lot of grief for the past 4 years. I'm eager to have this procedure done with.

For those of you praying, thank you. God has brought His calm, peace, and (surprisingly) joy to us in the midst of this, and we are truly blessed. Please continue to pray for my family, for healing, for the surgeon's hands, and that there would be no complications.

I should be in the hospital for just one night, but it could be longer. I hope that my stay would look something like this:




But in reality, this is probably closer:



Thank you for your prayers! I'll begin blogging again as soon as I can.

7 Comments:

At 11:25 PM , Blogger J-Lynn said...

Do you know what time they are doing the operation? I will be praying for you.

I know everything will be OK and I'm SO grateful Gods given you that peace. I LOVE your sense of humor and I would have laughed at church...lol

You had me giggling at that cartoon hospital pic! Many hugs to you, may you feel my prayers...

 
At 11:40 PM , Blogger H said...

Whoops! Let's try that again!

Hi Jess!
I'll be in surgery at 3:00 central time. Thank you for praying.


And thank you for getting my joke! No one's ever said they liked my sense of humor before, and after church on Sunday I was beginning to wonder........

 
At 8:48 AM , Blogger Donna Boucher said...

I think you are very funny and very brave.

Praying for you dear Hillary!

Love,
Donna

 
At 9:06 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up, Hillary! I'll be watching for an update.

In prayer, Melissa

 
At 9:27 AM , Blogger Dy said...

ROFL. Well, I came to offer prayers and support, and I got a great belly laugh over my coffee. Who needs the non-essential parts, anyway? (Of course, at one time I cut my hair really short in an effort to shave off just a little more weight... it's sad, I know.)

We will be storming the gates of heaven this afternoon for you, Hillary! Have you made sure somebody knows how to use this blog thing to update us???? (Priorities, ya know!)

Dy

 
At 8:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been keeping you in my prayers today.

Anne

 
At 5:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I like your bottom cartoon! That's hysterical. That is me at the dentist when I've had laughing gas and shots. I just don't wanna go!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home