No Harm Done

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Context is Very Important

**Updated Edit:
I originally posted this entry on July 5th. I had to take it down less than 48 hours later, because the cult leader's website had linked to me in their blog, and I was getting hit from people all over the world who, among other things, could not seem to be able to spell. They even called me a "crazy beotch!" Please.

I wanted to leave the post up, but M. reminded me that we're trying to sell a house, and that having this group hanging out with their signs in front of our house does not exactly add to the"curb appeal." So I took this post down for awhile. I'm reposting it tonight.

July 5th, 2008
Braden and I had a great time at the Olympic Swim Trials on Thursday! Braden likes Michael Phelps, and was very excited about being able to watch Phelps swim Thursday night.

The evening session didn't begin until 6:45 pm, so we spent most of the afternoon that the "AquaZone," where vendors and exhibits were set up and on display. We saw several people walking around the AquaZone with these T-shirts, and I really wanted to find one for Braden.

I stopped a shirt-wearing "phan" to ask where she bought her shirt. Apparently AT&T had given them away the day before.

I was disappointed that I couldn't get one of these shirts for Braden, until I realized that having him wear one of these shirts around "our fair city" would be a very bad idea. You see, in almost any other city in the country, no one would look twice at a "Phelps Phan" t-shirt. In our city, however, the name Phelps brings this guy to mind:

This organization is headquartered in "our fair city." They are very hard to avoid, and most people here very pointedly ignore them. Wearing a shirt with his name emblazoned across the front would be a very bad idea.

There's no way to make this blog entry funny, really. This guy's group is no laughing matter. But Braden and I did get a chuckle over the notion that did we live anywhere else in the country, a "Phelps Phan" shirt would be harmless. It's only in "our fair city" that it would be something that labelled you a hater.

3 Comments:

At 1:53 PM , Blogger Frankie said...

I remember reading that post on bloglines. And just so you know, it still shows up (the original) in the RSS feed at bloglines.

Sorry you got hit by the crazies.

And if I've never mentioned it, good luck with selling your house.

 
At 3:29 PM , Blogger Matt Mikalatos said...

You have got to be kidding me. I went to their website and... I just feel unsafe now.

Hey-- where is the post where they linked to you?

 
At 11:21 PM , Blogger Dy said...

Yeah, I'm w/ Matt, I want to know where they linked to you??? Weird. I can't stomach those people.

But here's how out of it I am: if you hadn't mentioned the swimmer's name (or, let's say even if you did mention it and it didn't register with me...), I would have wondered why on earth Phelps-Dodge Corporation would have a booth set up at the Olympic Swim trials, and why swimmers were gung-ho to wear them. Huh? They provide piping for getting water to the pools, perhaps?

*sigh* Obviously, I should get out more.

Dy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home