No Harm Done

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

My Christmas Gift Sucks.

We enjoy having people over to visit. Are you going to be in the area? Stop on by! (Call first!) Are you bored on a Friday night and are looking for a little board game action? C’mon over (Call first!) We’re probably here.

Before people come to the house I do lots of things: I clean up the counters. I clean the bathroom. I make sure the toys are picked up.

But the one thing I do not do: vacuum.

I happen to like clean floors. Braden is allergic to dust, so I vacuum fairly frequently in an effort to keep those mites at bay. But I never vacuum before company comes over.

Why? Well... it’s because of my vacuum. Way back in 2002 we bought our vacuum and it has served us well up until this year. But this summer it began acting funny.

Anytime the motor heated up, the vacuum would emit a powerful smell. A smell reminiscent of the solution used in salons to give women permanent waves. Imagine a salon giving four or five women perms simultaneously. In August. That is what my house smells like when I’m vacuuming.

I can avoid the odor if I only vacuum small areas of flooring at a time, say just a hallway or just an area rug. But if I were to do that, it’d take me all week to get the house done.

I can tolerate the smell, but the boys think it smells like poop, and make no effort to hide their disgust.

Stinky vacuum + 3 boys= A whole lotta’ bathroom humor.

So, if I know we’re having company I make a point of vacuuming the day before they come.

Which brings me to today. After school I spent the day doing laundry and cleaning the house before the rush of Christmas arrives. When M. came home he saw how hard I was working and….

Okay, that’s not exactly true.
M. didn’t see me working because at the moment he walked in the door I was sitting at the table reading a magazine and eating a chimichanga. But he could tell I had been working hard because the house smelled like I’d spent the day giving neighbor ladies Toni home perms. (Or, it smelled like poop, depending upon which family member you asked.)

M. told me he wanted to give me his Christmas present early, because he wanted to see me use it before Christmas. Moments later he rolled out this beauty!

Within 15 minutes I had it assembled and was zooming around the house with it. I love, love, love this vacuum! I vacuumed nearly all the main floor of the house tonight and had a blast!

Best of all – no smell!

I might vacuum the house again tomorrow just because I can!

3 Comments:

At 10:58 PM , Blogger Frankie said...

Oh, bathroom humor -- boys can always turn things into that. lol

Congrats on your vacuum! I hear they're wonderful.

Would you come vacuum for me when you're done doing your house again tomorrow? lol

Merry Christmas

 
At 8:07 AM , Blogger Dy said...

ROFL! Oh, I do love the feel of a new vacuum! The power, the clean lines, the quiet hum of a roter not yet clogged with anything. Ahh, that's living!

Our old vacuum emits an odor, as well - it's more like cat-butt. I have no idea why. But... ew. That's part of the reason I just kept the big ol' shop vac as our home vacuum, even after we had a normal-looking home instead of a construction zone. It doesn't stink. Well, and it's powerful. But I've gotta say, it's nowhere near as purdy as your new vacuum! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Dy

 
At 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if I could live in my house if it smelled how you described it.
Cool new sweeper, maybe you can clean our house.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home