No Harm Done

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Best Pumpkin Muffins. Ever.

After several attmpts at making pumpkin muffins that actually taste pumpkin-y, we finally have a winner!

These are delicious, easy to whip up, and will disappear from your counters almost as quickly as you can make them. (Ask me how I know.)

Here is the original recipe:

Pumpkin Muffins
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups (one can) pumpkin
3/4 cup melted butter

2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix eggs, sugar, pumpkin, and melted butter together. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add to batter. Add chopped nuts if desired. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.


The first time I make a recipe, I like to follow the directions exactly. After I've tasted it, then I feel comfortable tweaking the recipe. So here's what I did when I made the second batch:

**When I first saw the amount of sugar in this recipe, my eyes popped. So with the second batch I only added 1.5 cups of sugar. I could maybe add less if I used turbinado sugar or substituted a bit of honey.

**I used one cup of all-purpose flour and one cup of whole wheat flour. The muffins weren't quite as light and fluffy, but they felt more substantial and definitely filled us up faster.

** I added about 2 T. of wheat germ for extra fiber.

I usually make a bunch of muffins and then freeze some. Sometimes, though, I'll use foil muffin cups and freeze muffin dough in them. When I want muffins, I'll pull the frozen dough-cups from the freezer, pop them in muffin tins, and bake. Hot, fresh muffins on demand!

4 Comments:

At 3:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! What a good idea to put batter into muffin cups!! I do that with cookies. I use a scooper to make individual cookies and freeze them on a cookie sheet. Then I put them in a ziplock.

Anne

 
At 4:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the easy pumpkin muffin recipe! It was a hit here. I added less sugar too, and I don't think anyone would have ever known. I sneak flaxseed in whenever possible. It worked very well here, as usual. I'm going to try your trick about freezing dough next time, but tell me, do you thaw it first or just go straight from freezer to oven?
Thanks again!

 
At 4:41 PM , Blogger H said...

Hi Kelli!

I just put the frozen dough in the oven, and maybe add 5 minutes or so to the baking time. That's it! :)

 
At 10:41 AM , Blogger byebyebulemia said...

These are GREAT! I even substituted most of the butter for fat free vanilla yogurt, and they were still moist and flavorful! I followed your suggestion on the sugar and they were plenty sweet :) I submitted the recipe to StumbleUpon! Happy baking!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home