No Harm Done

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Climb Ev'ry Mountain!



Well, not every mountain, but we climbed this one!

We (3 adults and 6 children) hiked to the top of Bogus Basin in southwestern Idaho. I think it took a little over an hour to get to the top. (elevation 8000 feet) It actually took longer, but we kept stopping for rests and to play in the snow. The kids were thrilled to see snow up there in June!


Here's Braden walking on top of a couple feet of snow. It was sunny and warm that day, and it was odd to be throwing snowballs in our T-shirts and shorts.



In this photo, we are no where near the top of the mountain, even though it looks like it. The kids rushed ahead of the grownups, and we hung back with the two littlest. It was a little disconcerting to not be in sight of the boys, but the trail was clear and they were with each other.

Brogan and C. were the first to arrive at the top. They were very proud of themselves. On the way down, they also led the charge. Near the bottom, though, Brogan turned around and came to find the grownups. He was crying about snakes. He didn't want to see any snakes and wanted me to carry him the rest of the way down.

'This occured to you now? You've already been to the top, were nearly at the bottom, and then came back up to see me? How many snakes did you see?" I asked.

"None. Bt I don't want to see any! Carry me!" he cried.

We went round and round about this, and I couldn't assuage his fears, so I decided to, um, redirect him.

I "borrowed" the "mountain lion prevention" trick from the Disney movie The Parent Trap. Picking up two sticks, I told Brogan that if he hit the two sticks together every few steps snakes would be scared away. He looked so funny clapping those sticks together, but he made it the rest of the way down the mountain on his own.

I googled and googled to find a picture from the movie of Vicki hitting sticks together on the way to her tent, but I couldn't find anything. So, go rent the movie (it's just as much fun now as when we were little) and enjoy it anew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home