No Harm Done

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Enter the Spinmaster

Yesterday I took the boys to the library for their summer program series. Their sign said the "Spinmaster" would be there.

Not Bill O'Reilly.

The Spinmaster's name is Brent Dillinger and this kid is amazing. He started yo-yoing at age 12. One year later he entered his first national competition and took 5th, I believe. The following year he won the National Championships. At age 15 he took second place at the World Championships.

At age 16 he bought himself a porsche with his earnings.

He's now 18, and has plans to go to college next year. Unless he gets that show in Vegas. Or that show at Disneyworld.

The kids were mesmerized by his yo-yo routines. He started with a 3 minute single yo-yo routine, then explained the tricks to the kids. Then he did a 3 minute routine with 2 yo-yos at the same time. Then out came the Yo Stick, and the freestyle yo-yo (not attached to the string). He closed with his light show: 2 lighted yo-yos simultaneously, in the dark.

He was amazing! I enjoyed how he smiled the whole time, seemed to love performing, and patiently answered the children's questions afterwards. I had no idea there was so much to yo-yoing beyond "Walk the Dog" and "Around the World."

One thing I love about the internet, is that if you search long enough you can find just about anybody. Here is a video of Brent Dillinger three years ago. He's fantastic in the video, but he's obviously improved in the past 3 years and added more tricks to his routine.


I cannot get the video player to load on this blog, but if you CLICK ON THIS LINK RIGHT HERE you'll be taken to a page with the video on it.

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM , Blogger H said...

MRS K -

Maybe a little. I didn't immediately think "John Cusack" because I was thinking:

a) He reminds me of this guy I knew in college years ago, and
b) He could be much more handsome if he lost that chinstrap.

You know, that style of facial hair that connects each sideburn along the jawline. I'm not a big fan of that one.

I was struck by how happy he looked yo-yoing, though. It was obvious that it was still fun for him.
Hillary :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home