No Harm Done

Friday, March 24, 2006

"Pretend School"


(Scholars pose for a class portrait at the end of the day)

Backstory: A couple of weeks ago I attended an open house for a local classical school. I went mostly for reconnaissance: I wanted to see how Braden compared academically to the kids in his grade and what curriculum the school used.

At home I discussed the tour with M. and was detailing the things I'd seen and conversations I'd had. Brogan and Colson overheard M. and I and came to me in tears.

"Mom?" said Brogan, with tears in his eyes. "Is Braden going to school? I can't play with him when he's at school." I hugged them and we talked about school, and how I was just visiting and Braden isn't going to school anytime soon.

Fast-forward to this morning, and I'm helping Braden get ready for a field trip. The historical museum nearby has an old schoolhouse on its property, and today several homeschooled kids would be students in a one-room school. Both Colson and Brogan were nervous about this school and whether or not they'd get to play with Braden at all today. Because of their anxiety we called it "pretend school" all day.

The students dressed in approximations of early twentieth century clothes, brought appropriate lunches (wrapped in wax or brown paper, and did lessons. They learned how to write with pens dipped in ink, had a spelling bee, did math together, and apparently participated in a discussion about prohibition. The teacher taught them period recess games and ran a lively, organized classroom. Braden enjoyed his day at "pretend school."


(Students in class.)

While Braden was in "school", the littles and I went to the history museum to explore and play. After an hour, we were made aware of the museum's storytime. Today's topic was "Building log cabins." They read a picture book about building a log cabin, and then another book about building houses today. A volunteer with an accordian sang made-up tunes about building log cabins and got the children singing along with her.


(Outhouses at the school. Braden was relieved <no pun intended> to hear no one would have to use these.)

The morning went quickly, and the littles had fun, but they were excited to pick up Braden from his "pretend school."

2 Comments:

At 12:25 PM , Blogger PB&K said...

How did school kids dress in the early 1900s?

Pretend school, story time, accordians - that museum rocks!

Did you see any deer while you were out there? One night I was out near the bridge (by that school) and was nearly trampled by a doe.

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger Dy said...

Oh, Hillary - that is so sweet. I'm glad this was just pretend. ;-) What a great activity for the kids, though! Whoever thought that up is a genius. I wish there was more activity like that. very cool stuff.
Dy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home