No Harm Done

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Domo Arigato!

M. took us out to a Japanese Steakhouse. It was a tiny little restaurant with hibachi cooking right at our table. We've never been to a place like this before. The boys were wary at first, but by the end they were all talking about coming back again.



After the first two courses (clear soup and a salad with ginger dressing) the chef came out and started his show by lighting a giant fire. It completely caught us all off guard, because he was chit-chatting and making small talk and the all of a sudden we saw this flaming mass of light and heat! We all gasped and rocked back in our seats. Colson turned halfway around in his high chair, not taking his eyes off the flames and yet ready to bolt if necessary. It took a few minutes to convince him that the cook was not about to set us on fire and it was safe to turn back around in his seat.

The chef did a great job: he flipped things into his hat and behind his back, his knives and condiment containers flew in both rhythmic and visual patterns. He flipped food into our mouths with his spatula, and the boys had a blast craning their necks and leaning in their chairs at absurd angles in an attempt to catch the flying shrimp.



Braden, always an adventurous eater, tried everything that was placed in front of him. Colson loved the rice and the teriyaki steak. He was very excited to see the cook making rice and mixing eggs with it. "I like those things!" he'd say. Brogan refused to try anything, but he enjoyed the show as much as anyone.



The food was delicious, but the show was the best part. Watching the boys' eyes light up as they watched their food being cooked was a delight. I wonder if I could learn to cook like that at home. Would they be more enthusiastic eaters if I put on a show as I cooked their peas ad carrots? Maybe I should start with something simple - like flipping pancakes.

4 Comments:

At 10:00 PM , Blogger PB&K said...

So the ink stains aren't just localized. My jeans looks as though I got entangled in a bicycle chain and got grease marks all over. I have some many peices of clothing that were affected, too! Thanks for the advice!

I wanted to leave a note describing how horrible smelling campus has been lately. I'm just not sure how to describe it!

 
At 2:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to a restaurant like that last two years ago. It IS a lot of fun! Colson's reaction made me smile.

Evan's enthusiasm as an eater has increased now that I let him cut up some of the stuff that goes into it.

BTW, "Bring Him Home" is my favorite Les Miserables song. It gives me goose bumps whenever I hear it.

I'm sorry I can't really help you with paint colors. My house is still all white, because I can't make up my mind. Sometime I'm going to hire an interior decorator for an hour to give me paint opinions.

 
At 9:45 PM , Blogger Donna Boucher said...

Isn't it a blast!

Boy love the fire :o)

My oldest son just loves going to this type of restaurant!

He caught seven shrimp in his mouth in a row.........

He was delighted :o)

 
At 11:58 PM , Blogger Dy said...

ROFLMBO - I think Zorak would develop an undeniable craving for eating OUT if I tried to hone those kinds of skills! Come to think of it, how'd ya like to be the table "the new guy" gets? Eek!

I do love those places, though - like you said, the food is good, but the show is just great. We haven't ever taken the boys to one, but after hearing your description of the evening, I'm thinking we need to.

Dy

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home