No Harm Done

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I was so excited! A coffeehouse opened in our town last weekend.

Before this, if you wanted coffee you had to go to the local Hy-Vee grocery store and get a coffee there. If you hoped to sit somewhere and read while you enjoyed your coffee, you were pretty much limited to the cafeteria seating at the Hy-Vee.



Our Hy-Vee, while populated by very friendly people, is nowhere near as comfy-looking as the photo above. Still, any port in a storm, and I've had coffee at the Hy-Vee several times over the winter and have enjoyed sipping my latte while writing letters and watching people fill up at the Chinese buffet.

The opening of a new coffee shop was very much anticipated, but still came as a surprise. The banners outside the coffee shop had said "Coming Soon!" for several weeks, but never posted a Grand Opening date. Saturday night M. and I drove past the shop and noticed there were people inside. I made up my mind to visit the shop as soon as I could.


Tonight I decided to treat myself to a coffee while I did my Bible study. I'm studying the book of Leviticus. It's an interesting book, but there's not a whole lot of story to it. At least not that I've read yet. (This is my first time through Leviticus.) It's filled with details and the Law and information, but there's not much plot. It's fascinating, but there's a lot of information to keep track of. So I thought a coffee might be a nice addition to the study of Leviticus.

I spent an hour at the shop studying, but had to leave prematurely because of the woman seated next to me. She was studying something herself, and was listening to her iPod while she studied. Every 10 to 15 minutes her cell phone would ring when it received a text message. She couldn't
hear it ring, obviously, and so it would play the ringtone until she noticed the phone had lit up or was vibrating on her table.

The ringtone was cute and fun to hear the first couple of times. But now, nearly three hours later, I have the song going around in my brain and I cannot get it out.

Studying became increasingly difficult as I'd try to concentrate and would get a bit of reading done when her phone would ring:


Me (reading to self): "OK.....Purification..... garments... burnt offering...OK, got it.... peace offering...... sin offer-"

Phone: " Now this is a story of about how my life got flipped, turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute just sit right there....."

After an hour of hearing the first 20 seconds of the song I could take no more and had to leave. It's been 2.5 hours since I left the coffee shop and I still have the song going 'round in my head.


And so, in an effort to share the joy of earworms with others, here is the original song in its entirety.

You're welcome.


7 Comments:

At 11:00 PM , Blogger Meliss said...

Not gonna do it. Not gonna press play. You can't make me.

;-)

I did enjoy the cute film and need to show it to my kids. I wonder if they'll comment on the mullet...

 
At 11:23 PM , Blogger Mallory said...

Congratulations on your new coffee shop! I want to see pictures of the outside. Is it a chain?

 
At 12:31 AM , Blogger Frankie said...

I pressed play...when I read the lyrics, I thought it was Fresh Prince, but I couldn't remember for sure.

That would drive.me.nuts. lol

Enjoy your coffee shop. We had a Starbucks for a short while (as you may have seen, as it's close to where you eat) but it closed when Starbucks closed a lot of their stores.

I think aside from your coffee shop music fiasco, you've inspired me to find somewhere to go in the evenings. On occasion. I just never think to do that, and the peace and quiet would be welcomed.

Enjoy your lattes!

 
At 8:36 AM , Blogger Meliss said...

Okay, okay. I pressed play, but just long enough to know what it was. :-) I'm afraid of ear worms.

 
At 7:48 AM , Blogger Dy said...

FUN! We need a coffee shop. Or something. Somewhere I can just go. Sit. Read. Buy something to justify my presense there rather than being at home, not sitting, not reading. But not so expensive that Zorak fears we'll need to refi the house for me to go there. We have nothing like that.

 
At 7:49 AM , Blogger Dy said...

Oh - and wait til you get to Deuteronomy. It is actually quite an awesome book! That was one study I began with trepidation, and ended up thoroughly enjoying.

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Z said...

I refuse to listen. Although I fear it is already too late. Hilarious post.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home