No Harm Done

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Blinded By Science

One afternoon a week we attend a homeschool co-op, of sorts. The boys take 3 different classes, and Colson tags along with me most of the time. These afternoons I teach 3 classes: a general science class for older elementary children ("Magic School Bus" Science), a chemistry class for 2-4th graders, and a first year Latin class.

This week my chemistry students and I were going to build molecules using toothpicks, gumdrops, and marshmallows. My favorite brilliant scientist came to the rescue, supplying me with ideas for molecules that were challenging and interesting. (The water, oxygen, and carbon dioxide molecules I'd has planned were pretty boring.)

We had a great time building (and eating!) our molecules.

Thank you for your help, brilliant Mr. Ichabod!


Here are boys with their benzene molecules.




Look! Ammonia!




I think B2H6 was enjoyed by all. The children built the molecules, then drew them on paper.

1 Comments:

At 8:42 AM , Blogger PB&K said...

I imagined benzene tasting like very bitter water, not gum drops.

Looks like fun! Wish I could have been there!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home