No Harm Done

Monday, September 26, 2005

There's Antimony, Arsenic, Aluminum, Selenium.....

It ocurred to me while commenting on someone else's blog, that I'd never posted about Braden's memory project from last year.

We were starting our study of chemistry, and as an "anticipatory set" (a little pedagogical lingo, there) we watched this animated version of Tom Lehrer's song "The Elements." It's basically the periodic table of the elements set to music.

We loved it so much that we decided to learn it. Our library had the sheet music (it's basically a Gilbert and Sullivan piece) and a recording of Tom Lehrer singing it that I could play on my computer as we learned it.

Our homeschool group hosted a talent night in April, I think, and Braden sang this song as his entry. A wonderful pianist recorded the accompaniment to CD (an arrangement I liked better than Mr. Lehrer's version), and he sang along to the recording.

After all the work he put into memorizing it, it was a nice reward to be able to perform it.

It's a fun flash, and I'd encourage you to visit the link to watch it.

6 Comments:

At 9:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great song! Thanks for sharing it. My kids think it's fun and I bookmarked it. I hope that Braden has more opportunities to perform it! Maybe you all could come to Covenant Heights (church camp) next summer and he could sing it at the talent show. ;O)

(BTW, I'm watching my back.)

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Dy said...

This has always been one of my favorites! I hope the boys want to memorize it one day. The really cool thing is that the arrangement is from one of Zorak's favorite (ok, ONLY ONE HE CAN STAND) musicals. So he got a kick out of it, too.

Dy

 
At 10:32 AM , Blogger Dy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so link-worthy. :)

 
At 1:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hillary!

You are sooooo sneaky (in a very nice way)! Bob H. just called me to let me know that he met you and brought back cookies from you for our family! How kind and thoughtful (and sneaky)!! I really missed an opportunity here. I knew he would be gone last week, but I guess it went in one ear and out the other as to where. Thank you so much! I'll head over to the church bldg. to pick them up soon. (Here I was "watching my back" and you "killed me with kindness".)

 
At 2:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and NOW I get your "Little do you know..." comment!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home