No Harm Done

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

'Tis the Season.

In our neck of the woods, spring is the season for storms. With the storms come tornadoes.

Our state has already had nearly 400 tornado watches issued this year. (I'm not sure how many actual tornados have been spotted.) We're all very accustomed to tornado and severe thunderstorm watches, the constant radar displays in the corner of your tv screen, and the box of emergency supplies continually kept in the basement.

Tonight we're being told to prepare for a doozy of a storm system that will hit Thursday afternoon or evening. It's so big and nasty that area meterologists have had several conference calls with National Weather Service officials. It's so big and nasty that storm spotters from other states are coming here to help out.

Tomorrow morning (after VBS) I'll be shopping for food that will keep if/after we lose power. I'm pretty sure we have all the batteries we'll need for flashlights and radios, but I'll probably check anyway.

This time of year, safety and preparation are important. Thankfully, "The Onion," an online magazine, has provided a handy chart detailing safety measures during tornado season.






2 Comments:

At 12:06 PM , Blogger Shel said...

When I was a kid, I thought my parents were nuts for going outside to look for the tornado when the sirens went off. Now I go out to look when the storm is approaching. I now know that is a Kansas thing. I read it in one of those "You know your from Kansas if..." You go look for the tornado. I throw the kids in the basement.

 
At 9:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I think we have survived the "BIG ONE"!

Rachelle

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home