No Harm Done

Sunday, September 16, 2007

It's Always Somethin'

Amidst today’s travels, I spent quite a bit of time wondering what in the world was wrong with my hands.

I first noticed them this morning at Plimoth Plantation. As I washed up in the guest center, my hands looked .... orange.


Oddly, carroty orange.

Rather strikingly orange, actually. At the time, I thought it was probably just the light, but when I went outside into the sunshine my hands were still orange.

I questioned
M. throughout the day (“Hey, is it me, or do my hands look orange?” or “Do these look orange-y to you?”) and by dinnertime it was plain that the orange glow to my hands was not a figment of my imagination.

But I couldn’t figure out what was causing it. I haven’t eaten a ton of carrots lately. Or any carrots, actually. I haven’t been painting or playing with henna. I’m pretty sure I’m not jaundiced. So what the heck?

We got back to the hotel about an hour ago, and I went to put lotion on my hands. They’ve been so dry today because of all the hand-washing. (I’ve gone a bit Lady MacBeth today: “Out, Out d**n spot!” D**n orange-y spot!)



It was in the hotel room when it hit me: the lotion! I ran back to check and, sure enough, there is the culprit.

We didn’t check any bags on the trip, so I had to buy toiletries in 3 oz. bottles so they could be carried on the flight. Apparently, the small bottle of lotion I grabbed contains large quantities of a self-tanner, which explains why only my hands are orange.

It also explains why I’ll be wearing gloves for the next few days.


3 Comments:

At 11:05 PM , Blogger Frankie said...

Oh my gosh, I laughed so hard I snorted!

When I first read orange hands, I thought you had unearthed an old bottle of QT.

Please, continue to enjoy the trip and if anyone asks about your orange hands, just tell 'em it's all the rage where you live!

 
At 2:04 PM , Blogger JAM said...

Oh. My. Goodness. You kill me. And I must say, it sounds like something I would do. Particularly recently. : )

 
At 11:22 PM , Blogger Meliss said...

Oh! Breathe! That's Hillaryous!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home