No Harm Done

Monday, July 11, 2005

Yeah, I Like Waffles.

It's not fair. Someone who is very dear to me has shared with me that she and her husband are expecting their first child. They have been praying for children for well over a year now, and had just consulted doctors to enter into testing to see if there was a problem. This is not the unfair part of the story, though.

My friend and I discussed morning sicknesss, and she told me that she was worried about overloading her system with vitamins, etc., because in addition to her prenatals, she's been craving fruit and vegetables. ("Ooooh! Is that fresh spinach? are you going to finish that?") She cannot get enough fruit or veg. I advised her not to tell other pregnant women about her cravings, as they would surely hate her.

This. Is. Not. Fair.

Don't get me wrong. M. and I are thrilled for them. And thrilled that she's craving healthy food as opposed to the things normal women crave: chocolate, pickles (yes, it's a stereotype, but it's still true), chocolate, horseradish, ice cream, chocolate. But why was that not ever *my* craving? Why couldn't I have craved kolrabi and asparagus?

During my first pregnancy, I craved breakfast food: cereal, waffles, pancakes, muffins. Do you know how many calories are in those things? I didn't then, but I do now. I ate for three or four people, not just two.

Recently I came across this song and it could very well have been my theme song during that pregnancy. The boys like to watch it, because it's catchy and fun. But for me it brings back those days 10 years ago, when we could eat at Perkins every night if we wanted to (mmmmm! Fruit Belgian Waffles!!), and I didn't care how much weight I gained because I was confident it would all come off in a couple of months after baby arrived. Ha!

For blog newbies, just click on the highlighted words and they'll take you to view the song.

What were your cravings (or your spouses')?

2 Comments:

At 10:43 AM , Blogger Amy said...

When I was pregnant with Luke, Bud and I *each* powered down a pint of Ben and Jerry's about 4 or 5 times per week. That was back when our waistlines were smaller and our bank account was larger!

 
At 10:47 AM , Blogger H said...

Amy, we ate a lot of ice cream too! :) I kept telling myself, "It says on my nutrition chart that ice cream counts as a calcium serving. It's healthy!" :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home