No Harm Done

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

This is a Cry For Help

I would be so very bad if I had to substitute as a designer for "Trading Spaces". Now, I could do "Clean Sweep" with my eyes closed. (The decluttering and organizing part, that is.) But this decorating thing has me stumped.

I posted earlier about our painting dilemma in the kitchen and living rooms. Because both rooms are connected and are high traffic rooms, I wanted them to blend a bit. I'm willing to be a bit bolder with color in the dining room, but in the living room I was hoping for more neutral colors. (Off of the living room are also 2 hallways and the entry foyer.) My pictures for the living room and kitchen are nature pictures, mostly; lots of greens and a bit of purple.

I thought this sage-y color looked pretty, so tried it out. Braden walked in and said: "I was hoping for a bright, cheery yellow." That would be nice, but I just don't see it working in the kitchen. As I thought about it, the kitchen should be bright and cheery! Sage isn't bright and cheery.

So now I'm stuck. I think I'm overthinking this. I would love, love, love some feedback, please. All opinions are welcome.

Here are photos of how thing look right now. If you click on each individual photo you'll get a larger picture with a bit more detail.

3 Comments:

At 5:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the sage. Yellow for the kitchen is just so...expected. Maybe you can keep the sage and incorporate some yellow accessories. Get a copy of Van Gogh's Sunflowers and that will brighten things up while still going well with the sage.
Best wishes!

visitor from WTM board

 
At 8:31 AM , Blogger Mental multivitamin said...

The color of the stool cover? That wine/maroon-ish color? That's what I'd do. But I like extremes (e.g., dark, dark or BRIGHT, BRIGHT). Our kitchen is the latter: white appliances, sand/pink countertops and cabinets, white floor. I inherited it from the previous owner; it was all new. Hardly worth ditching for "my vision." I (*gasp*) stenciled the room in green leaves and wine/maroon-ish flowers. Added a few dark accents. Voila! It works.

Good luck with the redesign.

MFS

 
At 10:51 PM , Blogger H said...

Thanks for the ideas. MFS, I like dar, dark or bright, bright too...at other people's homes....when they've done the brilliant color matching. I think I'm worried of choosing an ugly color and ending up with a room that's dark, dark or bright, bright and ugly too. :)

I think I'm overthinking it. Both of you mentioned accenting with colors, though, and I think that may be the key.

Thanks!
Hillary

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home