No Harm Done

Thursday, January 26, 2006


If you'd asked me 5 years ago how much tv I'd watched as a child, I'd have replied, "Not much." We had an amazingly early bedtime, so I rarely saw much weeknight prime time. Before my mom started working, I remember playing outside a lot after school, and I can recall one or two shows I would watch before or after school. But that's it.

Until the older shows started coming out on DVD.

The DVD aisles are my favorite ones to wander through when I hit Sam's Club or WalMart now. So very many of these shows I'd forgotten about, until I saw them in beautiful boxed sets on the shelves: Wonder Woman, Sanford and Son, Dukes of Hazzard, ABC Afterschool Specials, Soap.... The list goes on and on.

So much of what's on children's tv is terrible, and if the shows are not bad the commercials are. Recently, we've started buying the shows we loved as children and watching them with the boys.

One of my favorite tv shows as a kid will be out on DVD next month. And it's about time! I've been watching the release date approach for several months now. Why haven't they done this sooner?

The Electric Company ran for a few years in the 1970s on PBS. I loved this show, and I still think of many of it's songs or skits today. From Easy Reader (mmm) to the cast of the Short Circus (see that dude above) to Jane of the Jungle. to the Blue Beetle. I can hardly wait for the boys to watch it. Maybe they can catch an episode of Spiderman on it too!



"Do not bother this giant person" is not an unfamiliar phrase in this house. Early in the morning, when one of the boys gets up before the sun, it's often the first phrase that comes to my mind. Even before "I need a Coke!', believe it or not. And soon, the boys will get to see it!

And Letterman, remember him?!


"Faster than a rolling "O!"
Stronger than Silent "E!"
Able to leap Capital "T" at a single bound!
It's a word!
It's a plan!
It's Letterman! "

Now that I've made you read to the bottom of this entry, you will be rewarded by a link to a site where you can watch several short clips from this show. Enjoy!

"We're gonna' turn it on...."

2 Comments:

At 2:25 AM , Blogger Frankie said...

Thanks for sharing about this. My favorite memory of The Electric Company is Morgan Freeman. I love him today, and I think it's because he was a childhood friend.=)

 
At 7:00 PM , Blogger Donna Boucher said...

The only thing I remember about The Electric Company is the song....

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home